I am so excited about today's Music and Motherhood interview with Whitney Drew! Not only is Whitney a fellow Rookie Mom, but she's a country music lover, as well. Whitney blogs over at Whitney Drew, and you can also find her on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.  

Take it, away, mama! 



Just the other night the baby was cryin
So I got out of bed rocked her awhile and I held her tight
And I told her it would be all right
My mind went back to a few years ago
We tried so long, we almost gave up hope
And I remember you comin' in and tellin me the news
Oh man we were livin, goin crazy in the kitchen
We danced and screamed and held each other tight
We laughed until we cried

Little did I know just how much these lyrics would ring true for me when I bought my husband Chris, tickets to a Jason Aldean concert about 6 years ago.  We had just started dating and I think I said something cute in the card like, “I can’t wait to laugh until we cry with you” not at all thinking about our future or how these lyrics would come true for us and eventually be framed in our little girl’s nursery…

But lets start the story from the beginning shall we?

I’m Whitney, I live in Portland, OR and I blog over at Whitney Drew where you get a little bit about everything that’s going on in my life.  My daughter Garrity {editor's note: she's beyond adorable} was born this past February and I simply cannot believe that I have a 3 month old.  Time is flying way, way too fast.  My husband is Chris, and while I could go on and on about how wonderful these past 6 years with him have been, we’ll focus our story on music for the sake of this post. 

Chris and I both love country music, which is a good thing considering I said I would never marry someone who didn’t love it as much as I did. Early dates were to country concerts…I’ve lost track of how many artists we’ve now seen.  When Chris proposed, he mirrored the lyrics in Brad Paisley’s “Then” which then became our first dance song, which we danced to at our wedding in a 100-year-old barn wearing our cowboy boots J 



Fast-forward a couple years and many more country concerts, and after months of trying to have a baby we finally conceived Garrity with the help of Clomid and an IUI.  We found out we were pregnant on a road trip through the south (which of course included a stop in Nashville…the home of country music).  And while we didn’t go crazy in the kitchen, we did go a little crazy in Charleston, SC. 

We immediately started planning out the theme to the nursery and knew it had to have something to do with country music.  We decided boy or girl, the focal point would be lyrics to country music songs that talked about little boys or girls. For 20 weeks we kept notes on songs, making sure to write down anything that we thought would work and when we finally found out we were having a girl we swung into action, narrowing down all of our choices to 7 songs. 

Hey Pretty Girl – Kip Moore
My Little Girl – Tim McGraw
How bout them cowgirls – George Strait
Always be my angel – Jake Owen
Dance, Baby, Dance – Chris Cagle
Laughed until we cried – Jason Aldean
Never Grow Up – Taylor Swift.

We commissioned a friend of ours to write out the lyrics in calligraphy and it turned out amazing!  And during this entire process we of course were playing music to my belly.  On the way to work in the morning I’d talk to Garrity and tell her about the different songs and artists on the radio and then at night we’d play our favorite country songs to my belly, she even went to a couple country concerts in utero!



All along I thought Hey Pretty Girl would be the song I’d sing to her the most once she arrived.  It’s the one that was really the brainchild of the whole nursery theme, I mean the lyrics talk about a mama giving birth to a baby who has her eyes, but surprisingly, the song I sing to Garrity the most, and the one that chokes me up every single time is Taylor Swifts, “never grow up.”  I lose it every single time.

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart
And no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up



Leave a Reply