Today I have a fun Music and Motherhood post for you from my "boss lady," over at Rookie Moms, Ms. Heather Flett! Heather is the proud mom of three boys, and blogs over at Rookie Moms and 510 Families. Personally, I'm a big fan of Heather's writing, especially her recent Stitch Fix review which had me in stitches laughing (ha?). Take it away, Heather!

1. Who are you? What's your website? Who is/are your little one(s)?

Heather Flett from RookieMoms.com and 510Families.com (our hyperlocal site for our part of the Bay Area). I have three sons: Holden (9), Milo (7), and Sawyer (2).

2. What is your favorite type of music? 

I love happy upbeat music with funny lyrics. I've been loving Dave Matthews Band since I was "23 and so tired of life..." From my parents generation, I like the Beatles. From modern times, I like Vampire Weekend, P!nk, and F.U.N. I am probably my most happy when I listen to old favorite songs and sing at the top of my lungs with the windows down, but I'm not sure that hearing Alanis Morissette or early Eminem pouring out of a minivan looks the way it feels.

3. What music got you through your early days of motherhood? Any specific songs? Why? 

When my littlest one was an infant, we listened to Death Cab for Cutie on infinite rotation in the minivan because it would always calm him and get him to sleep. This was most unexpected, but we turned to it over and over.

4. Did/do you sing any special songs to your little one? 

I have a few songs that I sing at bedtime: Hush Little Baby (I can make it as long or short as I need to), Rockabye Baby (customized so the baby doesn't die in the song), You are My Sunshine, and our Sleep Rules song (this is a true favorite).

5. Did you partner have any music that helped him/her through the early days? Was it different than your musical taste? 

Not that he can recall, but he really likes the National and Spoon and always plays that in the car when he gets the chance.

6. What music do you play for your kids now? 

We're on a loop between Justin Roberts (kids music that really doesn't suck), the Frozen soundtrack, Weird Al Yankovic, and Top 40 radio.

7. What music do you hope your child likes? 

Anything goes, but I hope it's not too violent or misogynistic.

8. What music/songs are/were you excited to introduce to your baby/child? 

Not sure... Let me think more!


Leave a Reply