Roasted chicken in the oven.
This weekend, I dub thee: weekend of the chicken. Why? Well, it seems that I was up to my ears in cooking chicken! It all started on Thursday when I got my new Paleo cookbooks (hooray!), and each of them had a simple recipe for roasted chicken, as well as a simple recipe for bone broth, from the chicken carcass. Suddenly, I got obsessed with cooking a roast chicken. I'd never done it before! Literally, it's all I could think about. So, Friday afternoon I stopped at the market on my way home and got a 4 pound chicken, carrots, celery, onions, and lemon. Saturday afternoon, since we were going to be home all day, around 11am, I took a deep breath, unleashed the chicken, and got to work. Know what? It was so easy! I put coconut oil in the pan; I spread chopped onions and carrots down, and then threw the chicken on top. Spread a little coconut oil on the chicken, and covered with salt and pepper (and some Bragg's seasoning). I stuffed the chicken with lemon wedges, garlic, and onions. At 375 degrees, they say that for every pound of chicken, it's 20 minutes in the oven...and "they" weren't wrong! I happened to have a meat thermometer (ah, the things you buy and think you'll never use), and at 80 minutes, I checked my chicken, and it was 170 degrees (165 is safe for chicken). I let it go about 10 minutes more, then turned off the oven.

Guess what? It was delicious! Even my father-in-law said so, and he wouldn't lie to me just to be nice, right? Ha, well, it was moist, and flavorful...and between my father-in-law and I, we demolished the thing (to be fair, he had a totally normal portion size, and I didn't...).

After I finished off the chicken, I threw the carcass, the veggies, and the juice into a pot, filled it with water, added a little apple cider vinegar, and let it simmer on low for 4 hours. Couldn't be easier! It was so full of flavor....I can't wait to make it again! It made 3 mason jars full, and I had one of them later that weekend with spaghetti squash (ala chicken noodle soup).

But, that wasn't the end of the chicken weekend. One of Eric's favorite meals I make is Chicken and Dumplings, and he requested it for when his dad was here last weekend. I always follow this recipe, and it always turns out great (I assume, I've never tried it!). The menfolk had it with green beans and I made homemade corn bread.

Chicken, you are so delicious and versatile. I can't wait to do more with you!

(You all talk to your food, too, right? Right?)

It's done! I even used a meat thermometer to make sure. 
Said roasted chicken became chicken broth. Amazing.
And, chicken and dumplings for the menfolk.


One Comment

  1. Making chicken stock is my favorite!! So excited for you about this entire post!!

    ReplyDelete