back to school night

Lovelies, it's that time of year again: back to school/meet the teacher night! When I was a first year teacher I really didn't know what to expect of this night. I knew I had to introduce my classes to the parents, and go over what I would be teaching, my expectations of the kids, etc...but I wasn't really sure how to go about it. Luckily, I had a great boss who led me though the motions and now I'm an old hat at it (5 years!)...however, I do have some basic tips for conquering those back to school night jitters.

  1. Be prepared. Plan ahead. Make sure you have something to hand out to the parents, whether it's the same syllabus you gave the students, or something more (I always condense the students' syllabus and then add some more about my expectations, so there's never any surprises...)
  2. Have a snack beforehand. You don't want your stomach making noise as you're talking to parents.
  3. Bring water. Lots of it. You talk a lot. You don't want a coughing fit while talking to parents.
  4. What to wear?! I remember (back when I lived with my momma) throwing all my clothing on my bed, being so confused about what to wear on BTS night. I wanted to look grown up, and nice, but strong and confident. When it comes to this night, dress in something you feel most like yourself in! Be comfortable.
  5. This year I wore this exact outfit. Black skinny pants, black flats, a black t-shirt (nothing too low cut!), and (brown) argyle sweater. Why the sweater in September? Don't let 'em see you sweat, lady! You're going to sweat, because it's going to be a long night...but, don't fret, just wear a light blazer or sweater. 
  6. Wear your hair back! Don't have your hair hanging in your face, and don't play with it. It looks silly. Wear it back, and look clean. Don't wear too much makeup. But, look alive!
  7. Wear some nice, classy jewelry...like I wear my Forever21 studs, which come 12 in a pack for $4.99. 
  8. Be yourself. Parents want to see how devoted, smart, kind, and funny you are. I love to make parents smile and laugh...just remember you're all there for the same reason: you both care about the same person: the student! 



Leave a Reply