During my excursion to Boston this month, we stopped in Concord, Massachusetts for a tour of Louisa May Alcott's home, Orchard House. We were told to not take any photos, so naturally that means I was forced to take some with my phone...you know, all in the honor of amazing women and Lovely! Check out that desk: that was where Little Women was written by Alcott; she wrote for 10-14 hours a day (she taught herself to be ambidextrous)! Louisa May Alcott was the first huge literary hit, who also happened to be a woman, and a lovely one at that! She was a feminist, all for human equality, and a free thinker in a time where it wasn't always easy for a woman to be one. Hey, if it wasn't for women like Ms. Alcott, we may not all be blogging here today! Check out these Louisa May themed Etsy finds: an iPod/phone charger made from...a copy of Little Women! So cool. I love the mug which features the quote, "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." Now, if we could all listen to Ms. Alcott, we'd learn quite a lot! Have you read Little Women? Which sister do you identify with the most? (Fun Olivia fact: my middle name is March, partially because of the March sisters in Little Women!)


One Comment

  1. I definitely identified with Beth and loved her character! Little Women was my favorite book as a girl; I was disappointed with Little Men, but nothing can really compare to the perfection of Little Women for any little girl reading it in any period of time.

    ReplyDelete