Back in the day (though it seems like forever ago, right now), Jenny and I went to the same high school. This was no ordinary high school, however, it was a Quaker high school. We had a dress code, we had a class in learning all about Quakerism, and we had to go to Meeting For Worship in the Quaker Meetinghouse. Meeting for Worship is the Quaker's religious practice in which the community sits in silence to develop their personal relationship with God. If one feels quaked from God to stand and talk, then they can stand and relay to the community what they need to say. We would sit, on Thursday mornings, for forty-five minutes, in silence, and just think, or not think, or stand and talk, or not. It became such an important staple in our week. In all the craziness of growing up, and applying to colleges, to have that time-out during the week was much appreciated and beloved. So, when I was browsing the L.L. Bean Signature line and came across the Meetinghouse Skirt, it touched a certain place in my heart and I smiled. Plus, this skirt would totally have been perfect to wear to school! I love the sweet floral print and the pleating. This versatile skirt would be lovely for fall with boots and a scarf, and easily worn again in the springtime with a white t-shirt and sandals. And better yet? The skirt's half off! This skirt definitely makes me think of older times in high school; what makes you think about high school? Did you go to a different type of high school? Any Quaker high school alums out there?


4 Comments

  1. As a fellow alum (and an actual Quaker!), I definitely agree that this skirt would be perfect for that school's dress code. I actually only was there for middle school, so my reflections on an outfit that would flash me back to my HS days would be a thrift store prom dress and flannel shirt. Because many days I actually wore both to school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Meredith: a thrift store prom dress to school?! You may have to guest post about that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quaker School what what!!! :) So glad to have met you two lovely sisters there <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that Friends Academy just came out with the latest issue of "The Meeting House.." and "Lovely at Your Side" is in it?

    ReplyDelete