Here's a little known fact about me: I am not a baker. When it came to doling out roles in the family, Jenny got baker and I got chef. I make the meals, she makes the deserts. She even used to have a little company (we have a problem starting businesses...you should see our business card drawers...) called "Jenny Cakes Cadieux." But, as I started to get more into paleo, I realized I was going to need some treats that I could make for birthdays and holidays. I mastered my zucchini bread for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I wanted something special I could make for birthdays, especially for a very special first birthday coming up (!!). So, I tried a lot of different recipes out there, but was mostly inspired by one of my favorite paleo cakes: Delighted Momma's vanilla mug cake (I have an addiction to it!).

I set to testing cakes for Jenny's birthday, and stumbled upon, what I think, is an amazing paleo cake! Eric even liked it...and that says a lot. For Jenny's birthday I made three of these, and layered them with Elana's Pantry's chocolate frosting (amazing recipe). Now, I'm not a recipe writer, so I'm just going to tell you what I did, and explain the best I can! All I can say is that the cake is unreal, and no one would know it was dairy/grain/gluten/nut/refined sugar free. I will be making this again for Weston's first birthday, but subbing the honey out for maple syrup, as babies aren't supposed to have much honey. Okay, here goes...




This recipe is for one 8 inch round cake pan; I made three of these for the layer cake.

For one cake, you'll need: 
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of coconut oil (I used not melted, but I don't think it matters!)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until creamy. It's a thick batter! 
Grease the pan with coconut oil. 
Scoop/pour in the batter and pat the pan down so the batter spreads out evenly. 
Bake for 20-22 minutes until top is golden and fork comes out clean!

For the frosting: I used Elana's Pantry paleo chocolate frosting recipe and doubled it. Mine didn't whip up at all, but I still used it to frost between layers. When it came time to frost the actual cake, I literally put the cake on a big plate and poured the thick frosting over it. I stuck the cake in the fridge for a few hours, and voila! A magic delicious chocolate shell. I let it sit out for a few minutes before eating and it was perfect. 

Let me know if you make this!


2 Comments

  1. We used your recipe for my son's second birthday and did cupcakes with it. they came out great and I didn't feel guilty giving it to him for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete