Today's first installment of the Music and Motherhood series comes from an old friend. We grew up with both Dara and her sister, Samantha, and spent many a summers playing dolls with them. Dara is the busy working mama of an adorable two year old little lady, and I am so glad to have Dara here today to share how music impacts her mothering. You can find Dara on The Hollywood Journal, and her twitter, too.

Who are you? What's your website?

Dara Resnik Creasey. I write for ABC's CASTLE, and online at The Hollywood Journal.

Who is/are your little one(s)?
I have a two-and-a-half-year-old girl who is the light of my life.

What is your favorite type of music?
My favorite artists are pretty mainstream. As a former New Yorker, I have a fondness for Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel. "Summer Highland Falls" is my favorite song.

What music got you through your early days of motherhood? Any specific songs?
Something about James Taylor really appealed to me then. I would sing "Sweet Baby James" and "Close Your Eyes" to her a lot. [Editor's Note: I still can't get through "Close Your Eyes" without crying!]

Did/do you sing any special songs to your little one?
She loooooves "Let It Go" (and it's making me crazy).

Did you partner have any music that helped him/her through the early days? Was it different than your musical taste?
My husband is fond of first wave '80s music and has played her lots of it, but he was also the one who introduced her to the FROZEN soundtrack.

What music do you play for your baby now?
She is starting to love the Disney Radio stations on the radio and iTunes. But we are trying hard to expose her to lots of different music. One night jazz, another night country

What music do you hope your child likes?
I have a secret love for cross over country music, but so far she doesn't seem to like it much!

What music/songs are/were you excited to introduce to your baby/child? 
There isn't any music I don't want her to hear. Every night at our house is a dance party, so hopefully she will learn to love it all.

Thanks, Dara!


Leave a Reply