So, Olivia and I like to keep it pretty light around here (when we are around here these days- sorry we're busy!) but I wanted to share with you what's going on with me. So instead of bringing you down with my gravitas, I'm bringing my situation up with some lovely levity. Towards the end of the school year it was brought to my attention that a contract would not be issued to me due to numbers. There would not be enough kids in my class to have two teachers present. This is what's called getting laid off. Since then it's been a roller coaster of applying to jobs and anxiously blathering about health insurance (an issue that's not entirely cleared up as of yet, even). I was able to stop my brain from panic for a few months with a line about how I am a teacher and I deserve my summer so I can rest east until September. But you know what? It's July and while hitting the gym at 7a and then coming home to a nap is a cute look now- come September it's going to feel a little unfulfilling, boring and oh yeah...financially draining (though I do have a half marathon and a Tough Mudder scheduled for 1 week apart in October, so the extra train time does help). So today I've been calmly panicking, emailing employers and looking at Craigslist. When I quieted down and listened to my train of thought I realized it was a little crazy and entertaining, so I figured I'd share it with you all.

  • Maybe I should sell my hats (sure)
  • Maybe I should write a children's book (yes!)
  • Maybe I should rent a studio space so I can work more efficiently and focused on my art and on the children's book I have no plot for. (..okay)
  • Maybe I should design fabric for a textile company (how does one even go about this?)
  • Maybe I should buy more of this Justin's Vegan Hazelnut Chocolate Spread (happy to be a spokesperson, Justin's)
  • Maybe I should go hide in Law School for a few years (terrible idea)
  • Maybe I should go to the library every day to draw and work more efficiently and with focus on my art (yes!)
  • Maybe I should get noticed and have a fancy art show in New York or The Hamptons (..you lost me again, Jen)
  • Maybe I should give up my dreams and work in like, insurance. (noooo)
  • Maybe I should give up my dreams and become a paralegal. (nooo)
  • This Justin's Vegan Hazelnut Chocolate Spread is really good, I missed Nutella. 
  • Maybe I should sit down and think about a children's book plot. (yes!)
  • What if I'm not capable enough of illustrating a whole book (self doubt, no!)
  • Maybe I should sell crocheted dog hats (okay, Jen, okay)

Maybe I should become a crazy eccentric who wears chiffon gowns everywhere (YES!)

P.S. Justin's- notice, two shout outs in one post. 


One Comment

  1. Oh man, I hear ya, sister! I'm at a similar cross-roads in my life. I'm a teacher who can't get a job as a teacher here (and doesn't wanna substitute) and I don't know what to do with my life. It's so stressful, isn't it!!!!

    ReplyDelete