Lovelies, the other day I joined a group for the first time. The group was titled, "someone asked me if I was expecting a child and I was not." Yes, it happened.
Sunday night, Eric and I were in the health food store and I ran into a past-parent of a student. I was wearing this green plaid bib top (hence the problem), leggings, brown boots, and sunglasses on my head. To be honest, I felt great, and felt like I actually looked really "cool" and put together (the sunglasses on the head helped!). Anyway, I saw the mother and waved. She waved back, and then across the aisle (the long way, not the short way!) she asked loudly, "are you expecting?!" Uh. Eric was behind me, so luckily he couldn't see my face. I smiled, a lovely smile, and responded, "Oh no, it's just a lazy Sunday shirt!" The mother laughed and said, "oh yes, the shirt...!" I did a nervous giggle, but sort of more nervous for her--I'm not with child--so she's the one who should be embarrassed! Yes, the shirt was loose, but haven't we already decided it's not okay to ask that at all, ever? Oy. When I turned around, Eric's mouth was totally agape: "Did she REALLY just ask that?!" He was in disbelief. I laughed. We got a kick out of the rest of the night, and kept making jokes that I was "eating for two." But, seriously: don't ask someone if they are expecting! It's a Lovely Don't! Have you ever been asked if you were preggo when you weren't?!


10 Comments

  1. I had that happen...in high school. With the concerned "she screwed up her life" look.

    My new child thing is something I've entitled "People think every child under 5 I interact with is mine."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um it has happened to me twice on the subway, which is so horrible - they offer you their seat and smile at you like "look, aren't I discreet? Sit down, preggo." SO AWKWARD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv- I had someone ask me that once....and I am 105 pounds! Who does that!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right! I mean, seriously: don't we know it is not socially acceptable to do that!? I'm glad other people shared in this with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL That's just not right Olivia!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo not acceptable. Even if someone looks ready to pop, I NEVER ask!!! Gahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I always worry when I wear that kind of top, too. I wonder how we will feel about the question when we actually are pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, Laura...even so, what if I was afraid of losing the baby? It's just weird to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had that happen to me! I was on a crowded bus (standing room only) going home from work about 5 years ago. I was wearing an empire waisted dress with a puffy skirt (the problem). I was tired because my shoes were uncomfortable and I lost my balance at one point. A man saw me and was like "Oh my God! Here take my seat." I thought he was being chivalrous because I looked tired and thanked him, then sat down, but we both ended up getting off at the same stop and he came over to me and was like "I'm sorry I didn't see you sooner. Congratulations! When are you due?" I was so embarrassed at that point because I felt I'd taken his seat under false pretenses, so I actually said "September 19th!" and then ran off towards my house. For weeks I was worried I would see him again and I kept trying to figure out if I should tell him I'd miscarried or was a twin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I was knitting a sweater for my cousin's new baby at a wedding last weekend. People would ask me what I was knitting - oh, just a baby sweater - then excitedly ask me if I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete